Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Oakland Marathon – March 25, 2012



After I ran my first Marathon exactly a year ago, I thought what a tough Marathon to run as my first one, and I promised myself that I would chose next one very carefully. Through rest of the 2011, I struggle to get back to running, injured myself once and I was out till November. I went to India and ran few days a week with my brother, and he was in good shape to beat me on most days. Came back, and ran Turkey Trot in November, and then carefully started increasing my mileage. However, I was struggling to recover from my long runs 12 miles or more.

Minh and Dave, looking at my blue nails, after one such long run, advised me to try a bigger size shoe. I took their advise, and bought a neutral running shoe with half size more. 10 years ago, I used to wear size 9, and now this one was size 11. Your feet swell during long runs and so it is generally advisable to buy a 1 size bigger as your running shoe. New shoe helped quite a bit, I could immediately see the difference in my recovery and I have to admit that apart from shoe size, new support helped too. I was of the opinion, older shoes, with worn out support, help making your feet stronger. I do not think this reasoning worked for me, as apart from blue nails, I would have feet pains too.

With new shoes, I started my training in February, and able to get to put couple 20 milers in Feb and early March. I thought that after I have couple 20 milers in long runs, I would register for a Marathon. And as the luck would have it, Oakland was fitting in the schedule perfectly, and 8 people, I knew, were running in it. During my 20 miles long runs, I was not able to keep my goal pace of 9 min/mile, so this time, I knew I could not keep up with 3:50 pace group. Vimal (who ran 2 half and 1 full marathon with me earlier) and I started behind 3:50 pace group and stayed behind it and ahead of 4 hour pace group for around 20 miles. Last 6 miles for me were much slower, but nothing comparison to what happened last year. Starting with realistic pace helped. And I was able to finish at 4:11:13, a new PR for me. Vimal finished at exact 4 hours, a great achievement considering he did not do a single training run of over 2 hours. I was not in much pain and was just feeling tired after the race. One of the goal for the race was not to get injured this time. I was able to run properly after couple of days of the Marathon and did another long run following weekend, indicating that I had a quick and complete recovery.

My training was to run intervals of 1 miles (1 mile warm up and 4 miles of intervals) on Tuesday, Tempo run (1 mile warm up, 3-5 mile of hard run under 8 min pace) on Thursday and Sunday long run (10 plus miles). This time, I tried to keep my long runs at 9 minute/mile pace, but pace would progressively slow down after 2 hours of running. My intervals and tempo run indicated that I should be able to do a faster Marathon, but not the long runs. I think it requires more training at that pace. Besides 3 days of running a week (20 – 30 miles/week), I was able to put two swims of 45 minutes as a cross training. I think swim helped me in recovering from hard and long runs quickly, and kept my aerobic levels up. I felt immediate relief from sore/stiff muscles after swimming. Marathon training is hard and I am glad to be done with one Marathon for the year, and now looking forward to do some hiking. Personally, I feel much better till 2 hours of running, body takes a beating beyond that and require some recovery time.

Marathon is still a big challenge for me. There are so many parameters, like diet, cross training, nutrition during run, hydration, shoes, fatigue, cramps, recovery, injury. And only way to learn what works for you is by trial and error, and running those miles. It is a path to self discovery and that is what keeping me come back to it.







10 comments:

  1. Excellent. Tu to milkha singh ko bhi peechhe chod dega. Keep it up.
    Pradeep Gupta....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so ambitious. We live at 6000 feet and in a very hilly area, so even walking at a fast pace is a real exercise for old people like us which we try to do. Keep in touch and say hello to Promila. It's been 10 years since HP, so my memory of people is shaky. Is Pradeep Promila's brother?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Maneesh for finishing one more marathon. 9 min/mile wow!
    Your blog did jumpstart my excercise schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Maneesh! Glad to learn that you could finish this one with no trouble.

    Please keep me in the loop for your practice runs. I am still running only a 10 miler a week and should get ready to run my annual marathon somewhere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maneesh, I continue to be inspired and amazed by your commitment to endurance running. You are a champion in my eyes. Cheers! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly inspiring. i'm still working on finishing a 5k under 30 min. :-)
    I will definitely use you as my inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was fun and exciting race event, thanks for sharing this to us. Looking forward for more updates, Congratulations for a great job well done too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Brother. One more feather in your cap. I have started 5 kms jog with Ankit since last week.
    When is your next Marathon? Ha Ha Ha!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers